Fixout walkthrough

Posted by | Posted in Fixing | Posted on 26-02-2011

We had a walkthrough at the fix out stage on Monday (sorry for the long delay between then and now!) and we got a good look at the house inside to see how things were progressing. It’s been going pretty well, the painters were in preparing the interior for painting and the plaster bulkhead above our kitchen cabinets were in place. The house also got a brick clean and it looks brilliant.

Naturally there still were some outstanding issues:

  • Exposed reo wasn’t fixed yet at the back – we brought a shovel with us and physically dug at the back, once the exposed reo was found the SS sprayed it with pink paint.
  • Laundry door – this was damaged before the framing stage, it’s been patched up now although was verbally promised by the SS’s manager that the door will be replaced. It’s fine now, so we figured it’s not worth chasing this one up.
  • Spouting / gutters – they are still crooked in some places. The SS and my father in law spent a good 10 minutes discussing what is right and what is wrong – the SS eventually gave in and said that he’ll get it looked at, but “can’t guarantee anything” (direct quote)
  • Fascia at the back of the garage, above external door – this is clearly crooked (sorry should’ve taken a photo of this). SS apparently couldn’t see it as an issue, and thought it wasn’t crooked. It’s clear that one end of the fascia is higher than the other; you can use the mortar lines of the brickwork as a general rule. I told him “well it’s either the fascia that’s crooked, or the brickwork”, eventually the SS agreed to “look into it”, but again “no guarantees”.
  • The back toilet window from the inside looks crooked, right side of the wooden window frame (the architrave / flashing that’s applied during the fixing stage) is about 3 mm lower than the left. Does anyone know if this is outside the guidelines? I can’t find anything specific on this.
  • Alfresco door architrave at the top has bowed on the left side by a couple of mm. The SS used a hammer and tapped it in on the spot, not sure if it made much of a difference.
  • Alfresco outside door seal rubber has bunched up and you can see the end of the mortar behind the bricks – SS said he would look into it.

Overall a positive experience, although a few little things that need to get looked at. Gutters and fascia seem to be the big items on that list for me.

Here are some pictures as I know you all love looking at them.

Update: I’m posting this post on the Saturday 26th February, while the events described in this post occurred on Monday 21st February. Some things have been updated; namely the ceilings and walls have been painted (I believe the walls need one more lick of paint before it being completed), the exposed reo at the back has been fixed (finally!), and our garage door has been installed – see picture attached.


Posted by | Posted in Interior | Posted on 01-02-2011

Burbank‘s MyPlace has been updated again for us – this time, it’s the plaster stage. Maria has been really good and visiting the site every few days or so to see how the progress is coming along, and it indeed seems that plaster has been hung. We’re definitely past the lockup stage now, despite us not having a proper door between the garage and the hallway, the whole doorway has been plastered up to suffice the lockup state, so it goes without saying that Burbank would make this into a doorway again later on down the track.

I had shown one of my best mates the progress of the build on site and he noticed that on Bed 4 / Alfresco corner that the top 4 courses of bricks are leaning slightly out of angle. I notified our contract liaison about this and have been assured that this will get looked into. I don’t see it being a difficult thing to correct. Maria also said that one of her friends had swung by our construction on Sunday and saw 3 trucks and about a dozen tradies working on site. On a Sunday! In 39 degree heat! Wow!

We’re still waiting on brick acid wash (I really want to see the real colour of those fantastic Canterbury bricks), and the next thing in the Burbank MyPlace Workflow checklist is “Fix Carpenter”, which I don’t really have an idea what it is. If you know what it is, please let me know.

Apologies again for the lack of photos, now that we’re locked out the opportunity to break into the house to get any has gone.